Stop Garnishments

Stop Garnishments Immediately and get back previously garnished funds. Call the Law Offices of Karen Ware (805) 284-0760. Serving Ventura, Oxnard, Camarillo, Thousand Oaks, Fillmore, Santa Paula, Moorpark, Simi Valley.

Stop Wage Garnishments Immediately- Get Back Previously Garnished Funds

Once a creditor or debt collector has a judgment against you, it has various ways to enforce the judgment.

To enforce a judgment / collect on a judgment, a creditor can garnish your wages, levy your bank accounts, and file liens on your assets.

We can help you prevent this.

For example, you can file exemptions to a wage garnishment if it would not leave you with enough money to pay for necessities. 

You might also be able to stop an ongoing garnishment.

If you file bankruptcy, you might be able to (1) stop the garnishment, (2) get back some or all of the funds already taken from you in a garnishment or levy, AND (3) discharge the underlying debt / judgment so you don’t face another garnishment in the future.

But, you must act quickly to stop a garnishment before it starts OR to get back previously garnished funds. Call us immediately if your wages have been garnished or will be garnished soon.

Learn more about garnishments:

How Can I Stop A Wage Garnishment? How Can I Get Back Previously Garnished Funds?

How Can a Creditor Garnish My Wages When the Statute of Limitations Has Already Passed?

Can My Wages be Garnished to Pay the Debts of My Spouse?

Two Strategies for Fighting Garnishments: File Exemptions or File Bankruptcy

There are generally two strategies for handling wage garnishments, liens, and bank levies.

Fight Garnishments in State Court

Creditors use wage garnishments to collect payment for judgments. Often these judgments were awarded in California Superior Court (“state court.”)

You can fight garnishments by filing exemptions with the levying officer. In many jurisdictions, this will be the Sheriff.  Learn more about filing garnishment exemptions with the Sheriff:  Can I Stop A Garnishment?  How do I File Garnishment Exemptions?

If you stop the garnishment or levy in Superior Court by filing exemptions, the creditor can levy your or try to garnish your wages again at a later date. 

Stop Garnishments by Filing Bankruptcy (Federal Court)

If you have more than one debt, the most cost effective strategy can be filing bankruptcy. A bankruptcy will usually discharge the debt for good.

You may even be able to get back some or all of the money already taken from you if you act quickly after the garnishment or levy starts. When you get these funds back through the bankruptcy process, the bankruptcy often more than pays for itself.